Condicote Village Website

On the western side of The Pound  is a cross, over a spring, whose base dates from the late 14th century. A new shaft and cross were added in 1864. The original cross was later destroyed and was replaced in 1888 by one from the western gable-end of the church.
 

According to the Victoria County History, "the reputation of the spring as a holy well is thought to be a possible cause for the location of Condicote Camp. Certainly the spring made possible the settlement of the village, whose chief supply it was until the mid-20th century. Beneath the base of the cross, perhaps contemporary with it, was a cistern or dip-well, which by 1868 was fitted with a pair of doors. The supply was evidently then in some danger of contamination, and before 1926 the cistern was sealed off and a pump took its place. From before 1700 until about the mid-19th century the spring filled a pond on the south side of the green. By 1882 the pond also was replaced by a pump, and a pump still marked the site in 1960. A main water supply, however, was brought to the village in 1937. The supply of electricity, authorized by an Act of 1928, followed after the end of the Second World War."

"The village green appears to have been enclosed before 1778, as it was not mentioned in the enclosure award of that date and by 1797 had a fence round it and a cottage belonging to the manorial estate at the north-west corner. A cottage was demolished between 1871 and 1882, and subsequently the fence or hedge was allowed to decay. In the 20th century a new stone wall was built to enclose the site of the pond in addition to the formerly enclosed area, which amounted together to something under an acre. The village centres on the green, the church standing on its north side and the four 17th- and 18th-century farmhouses at its four corners. Before the later 19th century none of the village houses was more than 200 yards from the green, but they were widely spaced, singly or in pairs. From the late 1930's the village began to expand again, and the new houses built were all at the north-east and north-west ends of the village, most of them widely separated."


(Adapted from Victoria County History: Copyright is gratefully acknowledged)